Welcome to a world that is full of music, animal noises, stories, art and shopping!

Thursday 25 October 2012

Lucia, Lucia

Today I am going to do a book review :) about 'Lucia, Lucia', a novel that is written by Adriana Trigiani, the author of the 'Big Stone Gap' series.

    

Um... I think this is the best love stories I have ever read actually. :)    Some people don't really like it because it sets place in the 1950s America and this is quite old-fashioned. >< (The fact that I am very old-fashioned is exposed.... XP)    I suddenly decide to write a review of it because I need a book to do my 'hot seat' in my ESB exam. ><''    I didn't want to use this book at first but later I decided to use it because I knew it really well. :D

I read this book last year because my school had a 'Big Read' program for us and we needed to choose a book to read.    I chose it because I am obsessed with love stories (especially Chinese ones). XP   It has around 300 pages and the first chapter is quite boring indeed.    However, as I started to read the story of Lucia, the main girl character in the book, I fall in love with this book and I keep crying when I read it - the story was really sad. :'(


Here is the brief summary of the book.    Lucia Sartori was a clever and ambitious girl.    She had a decent, well-paid job and was always followed by a herd of followers since she was the most beautiful girl in the area she's living in. XD   Lucia also had a fiancé whose name was Dante DeMartino (very very handsome *.*) and belonged to the best Italian family in New York.  She however decisively broke their engagement when she knew that she couldn't go to work anymore after their marriage (even though Dante loved her very much :( ).    Lucia met a mysterious and attractive man who called John Talbot later on and she fell for him desperately at first sight.    However, the arrival of John actually brought miseries and problems to Lucia and her family and an unexpected and horrible secret of him was revealed.

The reason I am recommending this book to you is that the story is very touching.    You can feel the same feelings as Lucia does because the author's words are so powerful.    The book contains a lot of 'hopes' of a young girl too, for example her desires of being financial independent, having the same freedoms as men do and meeting her 'prince charming'.    The story also shows the contrast between the reality and her dreams, as many of her 'hopes' will definitely not come true. :'(    The story mentions about the relationships between families and friends as well and also the problems encountered, when you need to accept a new family member.    It's a very good book (although my summary of the book is not very attractive) and I hope you guys will have a chance to read it. ^ ^

Um...this is the end of my post today!  Please feel free to leave your comments below and see you next time! :DDD







No comments:

Post a Comment